Areas of Practice
Employment Law Overview
Prioleau, Milfort & Rivers “Employment Law” practice covers nearly every aspect of the employee/employer relationship. We primarily represent private and public employees and professionals. Our lawyers have considerable experience representing clients in state and federal courts. We also have experience representing clients in administrative and disciplinary proceedings, mediations, and arbitrations.
Example Services & Transactions
- Discrimination claims based on race, gender, age, national origin, religion, and disability;
- Maternity leave and pregnancy discrimination;
- Overtime pay and minimum wage issues;
- Sexual harassment claims;
- Retaliatory discharge;
- Federal EEO hearings;
- Disciplinary hearings for Educators, Administrators and other public employees;
- Employee actions for engaging in “protected concerted activities” under the National Labor Relations Act;
- Unemployment compensation hearings and appeals;
- FMLA and other work leave issues, including reasonable accommodations under the ADA;
- Employment and severance agreements;
- Restrictive covenants agreement;
- Trade secrets actions;
- Breach of employment agreement;
- Employment class or collective actions;
- Negligent hiring and retention; and
- Other tort claims.
While our practice primarily focuses on pursuing our clients’ rights in pre-suit negotiations and litigation, we also counsel business owners regarding human resources policies and practices, employee handbooks, harassment policies and complaint procedures, recruitment and hiring procedures, standards of conduct, leave of absence procedures, and discharge and discipline policies. We also conduct management training programs, including equal employment opportunity obligations; equal pay and wage reviews; reasonable accommodation of employees with disabilities; and handling corrective action and discharge issues.
Whether you are an individual or a business seeking legal representation or advice in an employment law matter, please contact us today. Our experienced employment attorneys will be able to help you to better understand the laws, and represent you in your case.
Prioleau, Milfort & Rivers "Business Disputes" practice focuses on solving our client's problems as quickly and effectively as possible. We work hard to avoid unnecessary litigation when possible through the use of mediation or arbitration. However, when these methods do not serve our clients' interests, we fight for those interests in State and Federal Courts. We pursue and defend against the following claims:
- Breach of contract
- Breach of lease agreement
- Breach of warranty
- Interference with contractual or business relations
- Unfair competition or unfair trade practices
- Business purchase or sale disputes
- Internal business disputes
- Professional negligence
- Products liability
- Collection actions
- Other disputes arising from business transactions
Prioleau, Milfort & Rivers handles all types of cases involving personal injuries including auto and truck accidents, medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, premises liability, worker’s compensation and wrongful death. We are dedicated to providing clients who have suffered a severe personal injury with the highest caliber legal counsel and litigation services. We have considerable experience dealing with insurance companies and know how to get results for our clients.
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Car/Auto Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Trucking/Commercial Vehicles
- Premises Liability
- Catastrophic Injuries
If you have suffered a personal injury, please do not hesitate to contact the law firm of Prioleau, Milfort & Rivers.